For some time public and private sector clients and the general community have been seeking greater collaboration on the part of participants in the building and construction industry on key strategic issues. This has been further demonstrated by the need to address natural and other disasters including cyclones, drought, fires and the more recent coronavirus.
The Australian Industry Group (Ai Group) Construction Supply Chain Council is a new voice for our building, construction and infrastructure supply chain members and the Council will link with other key industry associations in developing consistent and timely responses to key industry issues.
Ai Group member companies' activities cover the whole array of the sector’s business – from major materials such as cement, concrete, aggregate, bitumen, steel, general building materials, electrical and plumbing products and communications systems.
The Council is currently developing its long term objectives as exemplified by:
- Recognition of the major role of the industry’s supply chain in supplying materials, products, equipment and services to construction contractors and sub-contractors.
- Ensuring that the technological knowledge and innovation of the supply chain is formally recognised by all levels of government, private clients and the wider community.
- Continuing to foster the skills and expertise of supply chain participants, including for priority industry capabilities and as a source of critical support to the industry in meeting its many operational responsibilities.
Membership of the Ai Group Construction Supply Chain Council is available to relevant Ai Group members and offers considerable opportunities to improve the sustainability of the industry and its participants, including high level access and a regular supply of information.
Council membership provides:
- Individual and collective approaches to advisers and decision makers in each Australian jurisdiction and Executive Government on construction procurement, regulatory and policy issues
- Formal representation at construction and other government consultative forums, including Standards Australia Committees, Building and Plumbing Codes Committees of the ABCB, Building Ministers Forum, Safe Work Australia and a myriad of government advisory committees
- Access to building, construction and infrastructure head contractors and materials and products manufacturers and suppliers through forums and other networking activities
- Representation to Government and industry decision makers
- Submissions on key industry issues
- Major publications
- Surveys to support policy, legislative and regulatory changes
Information for Construction Supply Chain Council members
The Council will meet formally at least twice each year, but will establish sub-groups covering key operational issues including:
- Early supply chain involvement in infrastructure projects
- More effective commercial terms in contracts and procurement rules
- Industry collaboration to achieve sustained cultural change for the industry
- Promotion of better outcomes for clients and the community
- Disaster recovery planning
A regular email summary, which includes information about major industry activity, related news and seminars will be a feature of Council membership. In addition, being part of the Council provides significant business opportunities including:
- Networking with the other members and organisational alliances
- Accessing concise information on key industry issues
- Recognition as part of an association dedicated to creating a unified sector
- The opportunity to actively contribute and be involved in forums and interaction with other businesses
- To increase understanding of the sector needs and the changing environment
- A vehicle for member businesses to improve their market visibility