The National Employment Standards (the NES), together with modern awards, form the safety net of conditions for employees under the national system. The NES apply to all employees, whether award-covered, agreement-covered or award / agreement free.
This handbook covers each of the NES entitlements:
- Maximum weekly hours of work;
- Requests for flexible working arrangements;
- Parental leave and related entitlements;
- Annual leave;
- Personal/carer's and compassionate leave;
- Community service leave;
- Long service leave;
- Public holidays;
- Notice of termination and redundancy pay;
- Fair Work Information Statement.
Some of the features of this publication include:
- Information on how each of the entitlements interacts with contracts of employment, modern awards and enterprise agreements;
- Examples of common modern award clauses and how they affect the NES entitlements;
- Case examples to illustrate how the NES entitlements operate in practice;
- Information on notice and documentary requirements for paid sick leave and other forms of leave;
- An overview of how the NES are affected by the broad “transfer of business” rules under the Fair Work Act;
- An overview of record keeping obligations under the Fair Work legislation.
View Table of Contents