Together our organisations represent businesses that employ millions of Australian workers. The business sector employs five out of six working Australians and contributes more than 80 per cent of economic output in this country.
Business and industry need policy certainty and stability in the energy sector. There can be no further delays. A decade of policy uncertainty has only resulted in higher electricity prices and a less stable and reliable energy system.
This Friday we call on COAG Energy Council to endorse the framework of the National Energy Guarantee to provide the investor confidence needed to make the important, long-term decisions for a reliable, affordable and clean energy system.
Now is the time to act in Australia’s national interest. Australian households and businesses cannot afford the costs of yet another cycle of political sparring, indecision and inaction.
- The Business Council of Australia (Media contact: Business Council media team (02) 8224 9214)
- Australian Industry Group (Media contact: Tony Melville 0419 190 347)
- Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Media Contact: Duncan Bremner 0448 822 666)
- Council of Small Business Organisations (Media contact: Peter Strong 0433 644 097)
- National Farmers' Federation (Media contact: Laureta Wallace 0409 448 250)
- Australian Petroleum Production & Exploration Association (Media contact: Matthew Doman 0421 888 858)
- Australian Energy Council (Media contact: Carl Kitchen 0401 691 342)