WHO ARE WE
The Grates and Access Covers Alliance (GACA) is an industry specific group of organisations that manufacturer and/or supply grates and covers to the Australian market.
Grates and access covers are used extensively throughout Australia on road, building and other infrastructure to provide safe access for pedestrian and vehicular movement across trenches and other voids that allow the passage of stormwater, sewerage or plant/equipment access.
Grates and access covers are essential load bearing elements which must conform to the appropriate standard.
The Alliance’s aim is to bring about both awareness of the need for conformance with Australia Standard AS 3996:2019 Access Covers and Grates and to firmly establish its disciplined use in specifications and in practice.
- bring together manufacturers, suppliers, installers of access covers and grates including asset owners.
- alert industry of the dangers of using non-conforming products and the risks they pose to public safety.
- work towards improving the industry’s health and to creating a level playing field by ensuring that all manufacturers and suppliers:
- comply with supply procedures;
- maintain identity and verifiable records; and
- avoid any attempt to deceive the purchaser on matters of conformance or other deceptive practice.
- commit to supplying/installing/procuring grates and access covers that conform with AS3996:2019 and other the relevant codes.
There is a cumulative risk in the building and construction industry across the supply chain from non-conforming product and poor practices that is a threat to the entire community who depend on the reliability of well-engineered structures. Our objectives are to:
- Recognise that public safety is an absolute and principal priority in building specifications and practice
- Advise industry of the engineering imperatives of the product systems and their disciplined installation
- Ensure best practice verified product supply to the civil / water / building industry and others drawing also on building industry product proficiencies of associated industries
- Facilitate proven and verifiable manufacturing policy to encourage only reliable best practice based on certified products and their proven performance
- Ensure that the relevant Standards reflect leading practice in design and manufacture to maintain awareness and applicability to critical infrastructure particularly relevant in high density living, and transit facilities.
We recognise the following matters of continuing importance in specifications and to building products in service.
- Correlate complementary values of each building materials within our Australian and related international standards.
- Development of information to outline best practice including design, manufacture, procurement, verification, supply, installation and maintenance to maximise the service life of AS 3996:2019 products.
- Future product maintenance recommendations to be provided by designer – suppliers.
- Development of explanatory Practice Notes to support the standard
Statement on the revised Standard AS3996
The Grates and Access Covers Alliance (GACA) welcomes the publication of AS 3996 – 2019 Access Covers and Grates. Click here to view the full statement.
- Promote to the industry the knowledge and acceptance of the standard AS 3996:2019 and of the dangers of using non-conforming products.
- Can provide evidence that their products comply with relevant product standards, codes, regulations and building laws in Australia.
- Can demonstrate a proven track record of providing conforming products to the market.
- Promote GACA and its charter to the industry stakeholders.
- Display information about GACA (and where appropriate the logo) on company documentation.
- Be a financial member.
Access Covers Australia - www.accesscoversaustralia.com.au
ACO Polycrete - www.acoaus.com.au
AusPits - www.auspits.com.au
BG Group - bggroup.com.au
BR Durham - www.durham.com.au
Civilmart - www.civilmart.com.au
Corrosion Control Practice and Standards
Covertite - www.covertite.com.au
Cubis Systems - au.cubis-systems.com
EJ - www.ejco.com
HRL - www.hrlt.com.au
Hygrade Water Australia - www.hygradewater.com.au
Jaybro - www.jaybro.com.au
Mascot Engineering - www.mascoteng.com.au
Nepean Building and Infrastructure - www.nepean.com/building
R&S Grating - www.grating.com.au
SVC - svc.com.au
Terra Firma Industries - www.terrafirmapitlids.com